28 June, 2008

Front garden

I have spent several months gradually renovating the front garden. I try to do a bit each day and I'm starting to see the results.

I've reduced some of the lawn area and removed bushes that died because of water restrictions over last summer. New plantings included some native grasses and other drought resistant bushes. For borders in the garden where it meets the lawn, I have planted medium height mondo grass. There are pavers laid as stepping stones that go from the lawn to the gas meter box, so whoever does the meter reading doesn't have to tread on the new garden. Between the pavers, I've planted short mondo grass.

Yesterday, I removed some more dead bushes and severely trimmed back three others. They haven't been done for years. Even found a newspaper dated January 2008 that had been thrown in the bushes instead of up the driveway. I still have several bushes to go, but they will have to wait until August, as next month is rose pruning month.

In our area we have a fortnightly service that takes green waste placed in a big wheely bin - prunings, weeds, grass clippings, etc. Anything that will compost. This means it will take me quite awhile to gradually get rid of all the prunings.

This week, I have also planted beetroot, lettuce and silver beet seeds. I hope I have some luck. I seem to have green fingers for gardening, except for raising plants from seed sown straight into a garden bed. I think I may have a bird and/or snail problem. Netting will fix the birds, but I can't put snail bait down because of darling dog, Ned.

Meanwhile, I have nearly finished the pair of socks from the yarn I won in a draw on the Ivy Shawl KAL Yahoo site.

No comments: