21 July, 2008

Holiday

Next month my aunty and I are driving about 1200 kms (each way) to visit my sister and husband. Date chosen. Dog booked into boarding kennels for at least 12 days. Need to book car in for service. I was debating about getting cruise control but I've decided to get a GPS device instead. I hope my knee can survive the trip.

I've planted some white onions seedlings and some red and brown onion seeds. I hope I have better luck that I had with the last lot. A multitude came up and the birds demolished them all. I'd planted them too close to pine log edgings and the birds dug them up while trying to get to whatever they were after under the logs.

The assorted lettuces are going well - covered with bird netting. That keeps the little blighters off! Some beetroot up and I've planted more seed. Coloured silver beet seems to be going OK. The birds haven't attacked that as yet.

The potato plants are looking good, but I have to keep checking the dirt over the base of the plants as the birds - yes, them again - dig the dirt away and expose the potatoes. Consequently, if they are not recovered with dirt, they go green. I've put some scraps of shade cloth around some and straw around others. The little b.... will probably still removed the straw.

Planted a grapevine and prune the existing one. I have to attack the peach tree next.

Meanwhile, I have actually knitted half of granddaughter's blanket. Yeh!

No comments: